Friday, December 3, 2010

The Wink that came out of the muddy drain

There was a rat
Who could inspire terror
Notorious miscreant
With gleaming teeth and inky brows
Prancing jauntily across the hall
Pilfered treasure between clenched jaws
Thick lashing tail; quite a pretty petunia pink
She was quite covetous of it
Or so I think.
Found her one day on the table
Nestling snugly amidst the fruit
Kissing passionately an apple most crimson
Tail wrapped around her healthy loot
Rodent eyes shut in ecstasy.
Thwack !
I kung-fu chopped with a broom
But she was much too swift,
Light and sure.
She scampered away to her hiding place
Underneath the revoltingly musty drain
Olympian running an epoch- making race
Whack !
I leaped at her in vain
But it was much too late
She had bested me again
But not before I could see
The jubilant wink she flung at me !

Malvika Parthasarthy
Cluny Convent School

No comments:

Post a Comment